Former Guantanamo Bay [prisoner] David Hicks has broken his silence, saying a court-imposed control order makes it hard for him to get on with his life.
The [framed ex-prisoner] says he is very worried that the controversial control order obtained by the Australian Federal Police (AFP) to restrict his activities may be extended.
The one-year order, which expires in December, is only the second such order placed on an Australian citizen.
"I'm concerned that the AFP will recommend the attorney-general impose a new control order," Hicks [said] in a video.
The control order was imposed on Hicks after he was freed from jail last December and revised in February.
Under the order, Hicks has to report to police twice a week. He can live anywhere in Australia approved by the AFP, but he is not allowed to leave the country.
He also has to submit to fingerprint testing and is [Rubbish] barred from possessing any explosives or firearms or any materials related to weapons, combat skills or military tactics. [Just Plain Rubbish from the AFP].
The video plea was organised by lobby group GetUp!, which has called for a major review of the 44 counter-terrorism laws introduced after the September 11 terrorism attacks.
"I don't know what the future holds for me. The only thing I do know is that until the control order is lifted, I will not be able to get on with my life," Hicks says.
It's almost seven years since the Adelaide man was caught in Afghanistan and sent to the US military base at Guantanamo Bay.
He was imprisoned there for six years, before agreeing to plead guilty to a charge of supporting terrorism in exchange for returning home to serve the remainder of his sentence in South Australia's Yatala prison.
He has received a number of requests to tell his story after the gag order imposed by US military officials expired last March, but he has kept his silence until today.
Hicks says he will tell his full story one day, but he is not ready to do it just yet.
"I'm still recovering from that ordeal. I'm not yet ready to explain what happened or why," Hicks said.
History will remember the Bush-Howard era of national security as one marked by draconian anti-terrorism laws that did little to protect us but created a climate of fear.
With the end of that era, we now have a chance to write a new chapter of history. An independent review and watchdog can weed out the most abhorrent features of the system while ensuring a more robust and accountable system that keeps us safe.
ASIO officers should be prosecuted The charges against Izhar Ul-Haque were withdrawn last year, after a Supreme Court judge ruled that two ASIO officers had been "grossly improper" and criminal in their interviews with the student.
Ex-CIA Officials Tied to Rendition Program and Faulty Iraq Intel Tapped to Head Obama’s Intelligence Transition Team John Brennan and Jami Miscik, both former intelligence officials under George Tenet, are leading Barack Obama’s review of intelligence agencies and helping make recommendations to the new administration. Brennan has supported warrantless wiretapping and extraordinary rendition, and Miscik was involved with the politicized intelligence alleging weapons of mass destruction in the lead-up to the war on Iraq. We speak with former CIA analyst Melvin Goodman and Michael Ratner of the Center for Constitutional Rights.
Police provocateur infiltrates political and protest groups In a series of articles published last month, Melbourne's Age newspaper revealed that a covert police agent recently infiltrated several left-wing political and activist groups, including Socialist Alternative, Stop the War Coalition, Unity for Peace, and Animal Liberation Victoria. Beginning in 2006, the agent provocateur was involved in anti-Iraq war demonstrations—including last year's Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) protests in Sydney—animal liberation actions, and participated in planning meetings for a protest to be held against a weapons fair in South Australia.
ASIO agent watched my torture - Habib "I had to stand for hours and hours on my toes, trying not to drown: Mamdouh Habib with his family in a Bankstown cafe, yesterday. From his left are his children Ahmed, Maryam, Moustafa and Hajer, and his wife Maha.
Thomas lawyers call for inquiry Lawyers for Melbourne man Jack Thomas are calling for an inquiry into the conduct of the Australian Federal Police and Commonwealth Director of Prosecutions, in pursuing him on terrorism charges.
Concern over anti-terrorism laws THE Haneef inquiry emerged briefly into daylight yesterday to hear the former chief justice Sir Gerard Brennan express concern that security laws are causing "too great an erosion of our fundamental rights".
Haneef's lawyer says inquiry is weak The inquiry into Australian authorities' handling of the Mohamed Haneef case needs stronger powers to avoid becoming a "toothless tiger", the former terror suspect's lawyer says.
Stand down, lawyers tell Keelty THE Australian Federal Police Commissioner, Mick Keelty, should stand down pending the outcome of the Clarke Inquiry into the handling of the Haneef case, the Australian Lawyers Alliance said yesterday.
Haneef to seek compensation Greens...AFP needs to properly explain the reasons why it pursued the case against Dr Haneef. MORE than a year after a terrorism charge against him was dropped and more than $8 million later, the Australian Federal Police have finally confirmed they have cleared the Indian doctor Mohamed Haneef as a suspect.
Haneef advice ignored by Andrews: lawyers Lawyers for former Gold Coast-based Dr Mohamed Haneef say they have obtained new documents showing former immigration minister Kevin Andrews ignored advice from his own department.
Haneef case evidence 'to remain secret' The retired judge who is investigating the case of Dr Mohamed Haneef says much of the evidence he has received will have to remain secret. AFP denied lawyer to Haneef: report Mohamed Haneef's lawyers say the Australian Federal Police (AFP) repeatedly denied their client's request for a lawyer to be present during his first interview.
Legal experts to mull Haneef case The head of the inquiry, retired Supreme Court judge John Clarke QC, says the forum will examine legislation as it applied to Dr Haneef.
Contradictory verdicts in Australia’s largest terrorism trial Australia’s largest and most protracted terrorist trial ended with distinctly mixed results last week in Melbourne. After a Victorian Supreme Court trial that ran for 115 days, the nine women and three men on the jury took nearly four weeks to reach their verdicts. While they found seven of the twelve defendants guilty of terrorist-related offences, they acquitted four others of all charges and were unable to reach a unanimous verdict on another, who now faces a lengthy re-trial.
Push for overhaul of laws on terrorism In a paper in Judicial Review he said that the National Security Information Act "gives the appearance of having been drafted by persons who have little knowledge of the function and processes of a criminal trial".
Push for overhaul of laws on terrorism In a paper in Judicial Review he said that the National Security Information Act "gives the appearance of having been drafted by persons who have little knowledge of the function and processes of a criminal trial". Court denies Lodhi leave to appeal Lodhi claimed the trial did not establish that he had actually decided to carry out a terrorist attack.