Friday, 7 November 2008

Harbour revellers speeding before impact

Amongst other things, like theft and drunken driving, there are dangerous driving charges - occasioning 6 deaths on Sydney Harbour.

THE runabout that collided with a fishing boat on Sydney Harbour in May, killing six young revellers on board, was speeding when the collision occurred, independent tests have shown.

[Also reported were drunk revellers who allegedly stole the boat that was subsequently reported stolen by, Sydney Ship Repair and Engineering and the company who owned the boat reiterated that fact to the Sydney Morning Herald on more than one occasion.]

As detectives enter their 'seventh month' [?] of investigations, a series of tests and re-creations by the Office of Transport Safety Investigations shows the runabout - allegedly driven by the bartender [Matthew Reynolds and now] Percy Small - was travelling at 12 knots (22kmh), a source close to the office has told the Herald. That is two knots over the established limit.

Longstanding marine regulations state a vessel must travel under 10 knots when passing within 30 metres of another craft.

The tests also showed the fishing boat, Jordon's, was not exceeding the 10-knot speed limit.

[But what if the runabout was stolen (reported by the Herald) and the drivers were drunk or on drugs? Reported by the Herald to have come from a pub staff night gone wrong.]

The tests will form part of the police brief of evidence given to the NSW Director of Public Prosecutions, helping prosecutors to decide whether to charge anyone over the crash.

The homicide squad's coronial investigation team is investigating whether anyone is to blame for the crash on May 1.

[Who stole the boat that was subsequently overloaded, unregistered, uninsured, and unlicensed? Now you don't have to be a policeman to work that out do you?]

It occurred when the two-man fishing boat heading out to sea and the runabout with 14 people aboard collided about 2.30am off Bradleys Head.

Six people on the runabout died as a result of the crash.

The Herald has previously reported that charges against two people on the runabout - Percy Small and Matthew Reynolds - are possible. Mr Reynolds, 31, took the boat out for the night, but Mr Small, 24, was allegedly driving it when it collided with Jordon's, which was being driven by Peter Evans.

Mr Evans returned to work in the past fortnight. "We've seen him a couple of times only," said a commercial fishing boat skipper at the Sydney Fish Markets.

"He's just getting back into it, getting used to being on the water again. I mean, he didn't do anything wrong, but it's still a horrible thing to know you were involved in six deaths."

Jordon's is also back in working condition, and can be found moored during the day to a pier at the Sydney Fish Market.

Neither Mr Small nor Mr Reynolds has consented to a police interview, but Mr Reynolds recently agreed to nominate who was driving the boat when it crashed. It is understood he said the driver was Mr Small.

At least one of the pair could face a charge of dangerous driving occasioning death if the Director of Public Prosecutions decides to prosecute.

Police are understood to be seeking a second opinion from a marine expert. Once that is complete, an announcement about any prosecution is expected.

As well as the speeding tests, prosecutors will consider whether both boats were properly lit and if their skippers were driving safely and paying attention.

Six people died as a result of the crash: Mr Reynolds's girlfriend, Ashlie Ayres, a mother of two; Jessica Savanna Holloway, a social worker; Stacey Wright, a bar worker; Alexander Rumiz, a bar worker; Lizzie Holder, a hairdressing apprentice; and Alexandre Nikakis, a Balmain local.

The seven-metre half-cabin runabout, a former navy diving vessel, was initially reported as having been taken without the knowledge of its owner, Sydney Ship Repair and Engineering, and as carrying 14 people although it was authorised for eight.

[If police can ensure that there was no negligence i.e. no wrongdoing on the part of those in the runabout, who it is alleged may have been responsible for the six deaths, then Sydney Ship Repair and Engineering may also claim that the runabout was [not] stolen after all, and after the fact, that they previously had reported it stolen and then reiterated that report in the Sydney Morning Herald on more than one occasion.]

The group had been drinking at a Balmain pub on the night of April 30, and Mr Reynolds had offered to take them for a cruise to Rose Bay and back.

The group made it safely to Rose Bay and at some point it is believed Mr Small took control.

Then, about 100 metres off Bradleys Head, the boat collided with the Jordon's as it was heading to sea to begin its fishing run.

Quote: If anyone is interested this tragedy has been covered-up not only by the NSW Police Force but also News Limited and the Sydney Morning Herald News Papers. Some of the facts have been distorted and twisted by them including who stole the boat, switching drivers to find an alleged sober driver and what state these party revellers were in when they left the wharf. Read the links there are witnesses to the events that they are trying to cover up. Obviously the people they are covering up for are in high places and can even command the NSW Police Force for a Green Light. Just who are these people?


Crash survivor won't get on a boat

Who stole the boat that was subsequently overloaded, unregistered, uninsured, and unlicensed? Now you don't have to be a policeman to work that out do you?

Crash skipper named in police cover-up

Who stole the boat that was subsequently overloaded, unregistered, uninsured, and unlicensed? Now you don't have to be a policeman to work that out do you?

Harbour crash 'driver' goes to police
Police "too busy" to question possible driver of boat in fatal harbour crash. Matthew Reynolds, the 31-year-old originally thought to be at the helm of the runabout which collided with a fishing boat on Sydney Harbour in May, killing six people, attended Tweed Heads Police Station today.

Boat safety laws overhauled
The New South Wales Government has announced maritime safety laws will be overhauled, a month after six people died in a boat crash on Sydney Harbour.

Boat tragedy: mystery over driver?
Three weeks after the Sydney Harbour tragedy, police have yet to establish who was driving the runabout that collided with a fishing trawler, killing six young people.

Boat driver in fatal crash revealed: cover-up
Cocktail barman Percy Small has been named as the man at the wheel of the runabout when it crashed into a larger fishing boat, killing six people. It is believed those on board have also claimed that a third person may have been at the wheel during some point in the journey, News Limited [Limited News] reports. [???] [An attempt now to place someone that was allegedly not drunk at the helm???] Quote: "Witnesses have told police that after Mr Reynolds, a qualified skipper, negotiated the boat from Balmain Wharf he handed the controls over to Mr Small. Mr Small, who holds a 'boating licence' and 'did not appear affected by alcohol', safely took the boat across the harbour to Watsons Bay." Unquote. [NSW Police and Limited News Lies? Seems like they got the all clear??? Now all they have to do is inform the boat owners that granting permission to the crew for the journey won't be a liability???]

Harbour death crash: [who stole the boat?]
The father of Matthew Reynolds, [the man originally thought to have stolen the runabout and] the man originally thought to have been at the helm of the runabout at the time of last Thursday's harbour tragedy, says his son knows who was steering the vessel but will not reveal their identity because of "legal implications".

Homicide squad called in over harbour crash
THE homicide squad stamped its authority on the investigation into the harbour tragedy yesterday, with an inspection of the boats that smashed into each other in the cold and dark on Thursday morning.

Police name 6th harbour crash victim
Thirty-two-year-old Ashlei Ayres, a single mother of two, has now been named as one of the five people who died at the scene of the crash.

Balmain hotels fill as young mourn pub mates
Many of those involved in the accident were from Balmain. Friends gathered, embraced and cried openly on Darling Street, and soon after were intoxicated with alcohol as well as grief. Balmain bar staff described the incident as a pub staff night gone wrong.

No comments: