Friday 10 October 2008

Charges dropped over bungled police probe

Charges have been dropped against a police officer who inadequately investigated a complaint from a South Australian man who was later murdered.

Chris Wilson, 23, was killed in February 2004, two days after telling police he had been shot in the leg by the man who later murdered him.

Charges against one of the investigating officers, Senior Constable Michael Redding, have now been dropped in the Police Disciplinary Tribunal, when he accepted a reprimand instead.

Mr Wilson's mother, Julie, now feels some sense of closure.

"For me it's a good day, it's the end of a long journey. I feel I've done as much as I can," she said.

"I feel that South Australians now know that you're in a very dark place when you're trying to get answers from South Australian police and it's a place that no mother should have to go."

Six other police officers also have been disciplined over the investigation.

No comments: