Thursday 11 September 2008

Robinson good behaviour bond and fine


Mr Robinson..."I will be appealing that this matter if necessary will go all the way to the High Court of Australia."

A jury has found former ATSIC commissioner Ray Robinson guilty of using his position for an improper purpose.

The charges relate to the sale of vehicles belonging to Aboriginal organisations in the Charleville area three years ago.

The prosecution alleged Robinson had used part of the proceeds from the sale to pay for his defence on another legal matter.

The verdict was handed down in the Toowoomba District Court last night after the jury deliberated for several hours.

Robinson was released on a good behaviour bond and ordered to repay $45,000 to the Commonwealth.

Mr Robinson says he was convicted on circumstantial evidence and will fight the decision in a higher court.

"I will be appealing that this matter if necessary will go all the way to the High Court of Australia, I will be appealing," he said.

"Indigenous people haven't got a good record with juries in Toowoomba; I am devastated that this was shifted from Charleville to Toowoomba."

He believes the judge gave him a lighter sentence because he was not entirely convinced of his guilt.

"I can give you a guarantee now that I will be appealing against this case and I will be appealing immediately," he said.

"I am innocent of these charges and I will appeal, and this jury has convicted me on circumstantial evidence."

Related:

Call for new indigenous body
Former ATSIC Commissioner Klynton Wanganeen says he will raise the idea of a new national body to represent indigenous communities at the 2020 Summit.

No comments: