Tuesday 5 August 2008

Joey's weekend of hell mistaken for a rapist


Joey De Mesa said... I have got records at work that show that I was at work but they didn't do any research.

A 23-year-old man wrongly locked up on Sunday by police who suspected him of stalking and assaulting teenaged girls says he barely slept or ate while incarcerated.

Joey De Mesa, of Minchinbury, was released from custody late last night after police received forensic test results clearing him and applied to a Supreme Court judge to have him set free.

NSW police, who released CCTV footage of Mr De Mesa in connection with the crimes, have now applied for 11 charges relating to sex attacks on six teenaged girls is Sydney's west between April and June this year to be dropped.

Mr De Mesa said he went to Mt Druitt police station in good faith on Saturday evening after friends and relatives recognised him from the footage broadcast on television news reports at the weekend.

To his horror, instead of ruling him out as a suspect, police arrested and charged him, he said.

"I just didn't know what to do, I was in terrible shock," he said.

"They treated me as guilty. They all believed that it was me."

Mr De Mesa, who works six days a week at a greengrocer in Edgecliff, said he protested his innocence but was held overnight in a cell by himself at a Penrith Court holding facility.

"I said I have got records at work that show that I was at work but they didn't do any research," he said.

"It was really really bad. I didn't know what to do. I had given up hope. I felt that no one was going to believe me.

"I felt that it was really going to be me that they were going to lock up [for good]."

Mr De Mesa said his court appearance on Sunday, where he did not receive bail, compounded his distress.

He said a lawyer advised him that he wouldn't be able to get bail.

"I had never been to a court before. I was just so confused and shocked," he said.

Mr De Mesa said he was overwhelmed with relief when he was finally told last night that he was no longer a suspect.

"I was just thinking about my parents, I was going to give them a hug and let them know that their son didn't do this," he said.

'[Police] were just doing their job but [from] what I can see they didn't do their job properly, they didn't do any investigations, they just wanted to close the case on an innocent guy, which they've done.

Quote: Please note all the material that was meant to praise police (most likely prompted by the Sydney Morning Herald) as they do, has been removed from the original article. Police should do their job properly, at least, before mistreating and charging people taken into custody as suspects, who are thought to be criminals by them, if that's what they do? The way this person was mistreated is "A" typical of how police treat people. The fact that he handed himself in should have been a clear indication that he may have been innocent. Yet Police had no regard for that or what he said and went ahead and mistreated this person, why? Because in the police eyes every suspect is a criminal.

People pay taxes for police to do their job properly, not mistreat alleged offenders. Where is it written that police should mistreat people? The general rules and regulaitons? The law? Not fair!!! Questions? What good is CCTV in terms of identification? Meanwhile the rapist is still out there.

Why is this persons photo plastered all over the media? How will he forget his experience with police? Will that encourage people to come forward in the future? Why would an alleged six time rapist give himself up? Only a lazy cop who wanted an easy day would think so!

That is to suggest that most anyone can be tried for a crime without an alabi or proper forensic examination of the evidence. So don't open any doors that don't need to be open if you know you're innocent CCTV, corporate media or not.

No comments: