Monday, 12 May 2008

Coroner finds non-sniffable petrol caused boy's death

The Northern Territory coroner has found the low aromatic Opal fuel was behind the death of a 12-year-old boy at the Aboriginal community of Hermannsburg, 130 kilometres west of Alice Springs.

In his findings handed down today, coroner Greg Cavanagh found the boy died in April last year when he suffocated from sniffing Opal fuel.

Mr Cavanagh found the promotion of Opal fuel as non-sniffable to be misleading.

He has recommended the Northern Territory and Federal Governments and the fuel's manufacturer, BP Australia, ensure the fuel is not promoted as a harmless substance because it can lead to death from ingesting or sniffing.

It's the first known death linked to Opal.

No comments: